
- Auckland Council’s decision to move speedway from Western Springs to Waikaraka Park faces a court challenge.
- The Western Springs Speedway Association claims the council used fabricated documents and failed to consult properly.
- The association argues Waikaraka Park’s smaller capacity will lead to lost sponsorship and decreased attendance.
Auckland Council’s controversial decision to move speedway from its home of 97 years at Western Springs faces a court challenge.
The Western Springs Speedway Association today lodged a judicial review at the High Court at Auckland over the lawfulness of the council decision in October to move the motorsport to Waikaraka Park in Onehunga.
Speedway’s days at Western Springs were numbered on October 30 when councillors voted 11-8 to spend $11 million upgrading Waikaraka Park – the home of stock and saloon car racing – for speedway from next summer.
Members of Western Springs Speedway Association, who filed legal papers for a judicial review at the High Court n Auckland today. From left: Chairman Lance Anderson, treasurer Ron Kendall, spokesman Jason Jones, and secretary Susanne Davis. Photo / Sylvie Whinray
Mayor Wayne Brown was among those who voted to move the motorsport and turned down a request from speedway supporters to address the governing body.
The last night race for speedway at Western Springs was on March 22.
The October 30 vote followed the revelation at the governing body a week earlier about a letter from Speedway New Zealand general manager Aaron Kirby in support of the move.
In another letter tabled at that meeting, Kirby said the initial letter in support of consolidation was “a complete misrepresentation”.
The meeting was adjourned to clarify the position of all the letters of support, which found that a second letter from the Auckland TQ Midget Association incorrectly portrayed its views and was withdrawn from the agenda.
Association spokesman Jason Jones said the council’s actions “have been despicable, or unlawful if you want to be more professional”.
He said the aim of the judicial review was to overturn the council’s decision, go back to square one and hold a fair process. Work on Waikaraka Park should go on hold while the legal battle took place, he said.
The association, with about 1000 members from speedway and the community, has alleged multiple breaches of processes and legal obligations by the council to consult with affected parties.
Speedway is no more at Western Springs. Photo / Doug Sherring
Furthermore, the association has alleged that fabricated and tampered documents were used in the decision-making to suggest a level of support for the move from Western Springs that did not exist.
The legal action has cost the association about $40,000 to date, and Jones thought the court action would cost about the same. The association has received donations from speedway drivers, supporters, and the public, from a few dollars to one of $13,000.
Jones said Waikaraka Park was too small, with a crowd capacity of 3500, compared to Western Springs, where more than 100,000 fans attended the final, 12-night season.
“Motorsport is expensive, and sponsorship covers a generous portion of costs. Reduced crowd capacity leads to lost sponsorship and decreased competitor numbers, then the crowds stop coming,” he said.
Association secretary Susanne Davis said speedway had been her life with her poppa, father, and kids going every week of the season.
“It’s been really rough since we lost Dad last July. I’ve got to fight it for Dad. It’s not moving (from Western Springs),” she said.
The Herald is seeking comment from the council.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you